A potential fractions task because because middle schoolers probably really struggle with the high cost of shaving blades. Not a super complex task, but maybe good for a warm-up?
- Dollar shave club sells razors at a price of four for $6.
- “Their” razors cost 1 1/2 for $6.
We need-to-know (or, we’d like to know)…
- How much do both companies’ blades cost per blade?
- How much do “theirs” cost for a pack of four?
- Where did Dollar Shave Co. get these prices for “theirs”?
One of the things I like about this is that you potentially have a fraction within a fraction. That is, one can calculate the cost of “their” razors by dividing $6 by 1 1/2 razor blades.
Also – and I don’t say this often – please don’t make this a hands-on activity.
(9/20) Update / Conclusion?