In my session we spent some time doing a Visible Thinking Routine around 5 mathematical tasks, then did a run through of some quick ways to improve or attempt a mathematical task. Here are links to some of the tasks we looked at, and additional ones I provided as models for participants.
- NCTM Research Brief on Problem Solving
- Malcolm Swan, “Improving and Learning Mathematics“
- Ilana Horn, “Strength in Numbers”
- Titanic Problem (Illustrative Mathematics)
- Burning Man (from 101qs.com)
- Lebron’s Headband (from 101qs.com)
- How much money? (from robertkaplinsky.com)
- Geogebra Sprinkler Task (Nat and myself)
- Periodic Functions Task (from crispymath.com)
- Security Camera Task (Shell)
- Pluto Files Video (from myself)
- Odd one out (from Malcolm Swan, see above)
- As always, lots of Dan Meyer shoutouts.
- Thanks to Theresa Shafer for lending me her computer that has an HDMI connection.
PPT: Equip13 Presentation